Marrow and Root Vegetable Soup
Marrow and Root Vegetable Soup, you can’t go wrong with this duo. When I first came up with this recipe I was omitting nightshades from my diet. It was cold out and I wanted tomato soup. Tomatoes are probably one of my favorite foods. There’s a lot of wiggle room in this recipe, depending on your taste. I’ve used chicken broth instead of beef and the flavor is amazing. If dairy doesn’t bother you, I suggest a dollop of sour cream before serving.
We’re always touting the benefits of bone broth, but what about the health benefits of that delicious marrow. Marrow is loaded with vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids. And most importantly, bone marrow is absolutely delicious.
The delicious root vegetables, beets to be specific. Loaded with B vitamins, high in immune-boosting vitamin C, fiber, and essential minerals like potassium, essential for healthy nerve and muscle function, and manganese, which is good for your bones, liver, kidneys, and pancreas.
Mock Tomato & Marrow Soup
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 1 hour 15 min
3-4 Lbs grass-fed marrow bones, cut lengthwise.
1 – 2 Lbs organic beets, scrubbed, peeled and chopped.
1 Lb organic carrots, scrubbed and chopped
3 stalks organic celery chopped.
2 large leeks, whites only, washed and chopped.
2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 – 4″ sprig Rosemary
3 or 4 peeled garlic cloves
2-4 cup Beef bone broth (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. Put vegetables into large roasting pan. Place bones on top, cut side up. Roast for 30-40 minutes.
3. Put vegetables and bones into electric pressure cooker (or crock pot). Add turmeric, garlic, salt, pepper, and lay rosemary on top.
4. Add bone broth, if using, and additional filtered water to cover veggies and bones. Be sure to only fill pressure cooker 5/6 way up.
5. Cook under pressure for 45 min. If using slow cooker, place on high for 1 hour then low for additional 5 hours.
6. Remove rosemary and bones with slotted spoon, being sure that all the marrow remains in soup.
7. Blend until smooth in blender or with immersion blender. Adjust seasoning.
8. Serve with plenty of black pepper.
Leave a Comment