Perfect Roasted Chicken and Root Veggies
I’ve been a bit under the weather and I always want simple comfort foods. Roasting a chicken is easy and it gives me everything I need to follow up with some bone broth or soup.
Here’s how I make mine:
5 – 6 pound Organic (preferably pasture) Chicken
1 lemon, cut in 1/4’s
1 head of Garlic, cut in 1/4’s (or 10 cloves)
1 large bunch of fresh Thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 TBS Kerrygold Butter, melted
cotton string to secure legs
4 large Organic Carrots, cut into 2″ chunks
1 large Onion, cut into thick slices
1 medium to large Fennel, top removed and cut into wedges
1 or 2 sweet or organic white potatoes, peeled and cut into 2″ chunks
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Preheat oven to 425º f
2. Rinse bird, remove giblets out of cavity, and pat dry
3. Sprinkle cavity with about 1 TBS Salt and generous amounts of pepper. Place thyme, garlic, and lemon in bird cavity. Secure legs with twine.
4. Place chopped root veggies in roasting pan and toss with 1 – 2 TBS olive oil, salt and pepper.
5. Place bird on top of root veggies. Brush with butter then season outside of bird with salt and pepper.
6. Roast on middle rack for approximately 90 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced, near leg and thigh, with a fork.
7. After removing from oven, cover with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Leave a Comment